Saturday, September 28, 2013

R. Sweeney



Motivation in the Classroom

The purpose of this blog is to serve as a course exercise for EDM 510.














     Motivation directly impacts students learning in the classroom. Not all students are motivated to learn. Students are struggling with making and obtaining goals. Once they struggle or experience failure they loose their motivation to persevere through obstacles. There are two types of motivation which are intrinsic and extrinsic. Intrinsic motivation is a students ability to self-motivate. Extrinsic motivation are factors that come from outside that influence the student such as rewards.  

     In this post, we will be discussing how to motivate students in the classroom. You will post your thoughts to the following discussion questions. 



  • What are factors that influence student motivation?
  • How can teachers motivate students to learn?
  • What are some examples of rewards used in the classroom? 

     Many factors influence student motivation such as the classroom environment. Students that are in a positive environment tend to develop self-confidence. This type of environment helps students to become successful individuals.  
     One way to keep students motivated to learn is by simplifying assignments into steps. This helps to keep students from becoming overwhelmed. Students can gradually complete the assignment seeing their achievement along the way. Also, students can be involved in making decisions in the classroom. This allows them to take ownership and be responsible for their own learning.  
     In the classroom, I have used several types of rewards. Students were motivated to complete assignments in order to obtain the reward. Students received free time on Friday. During that time, they could draw, read, or play interactive games on the computer.  













6 comments:

  1. I think the key to student motivation is creating a calm classroom environment where everyone is valued and treated equally. Using sound classroom management techniques, and teaching explicit rules and procedures (i.e., the children always know exactly what to do, even, in your absence), helps to create this type of environment.

    Several techniques worked for me. I always used an "equality bucket" (every student had a popsicle stick with their name on it) in any classroom. Drawing names from the bucket, assured an equal chance for every child. In my experience, just knowing this simple fact (everyone had an equal chance), created an environment where students were motivated to learn.

    Other techniques I used to create this atmosphere included classroom jobs that were rotated weekly where everyone had a chance to prove themselves, and clear, consistent rules (e.g., 5 things- eyes, ears, mouth, hands, feet- all are quiet). I explicitly taught how all jobs were to be performed, and what the consequences would be if rules were broken. At the end of the week, those who exhibited good behavior including working hard to accomplish academic tasks, were able to choose a reward from my treasure chest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One major factor that influences student motivation is expectation. In my experience, if you have clear expectations students will usually strive to meet them. This can work both ways. If you don't expect a students to perform well, then they usually meet that expectation, also.
    In my classroom, I followed many of the same techniques mentioned in ARockwell's comment. I used an "equality bucket," even though I did not know that is what it was called. I also established classroom jobs with clear expectations. I spent the first few days of school teaching classroom jobs and procedures and establishing clear consequences. I told my students consequences could be good or bad; it was their decision. Some of the "good" consequences were treats from the treat box or getting to sit by a friend for a day. I also gave a homework pass when a student had completed his/her homework for so many days in a row. (They did not have to get everything right on their assignments to earn this; they simply had to show they tried.)
    Aside from the basic techniques, you have to see each student as an individual. Most students respond well to praise and encouragement, but occasionally you will encounter those that need a little firmer motivation. You just have to recognize what works best for each class and each student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its important to let students know what the expectations are in the classroom. When I teach lessons, I tell them what I expect. I remind them to listen and be respectful. I like the idea of having classroom jobs. Sometimes teachers call them classroom helpers. It provides a great opportunity for children to develop a sense of responsibility in the classroom. Students enjoy participating, and it motivates them to take care of the classroom environment.

      Delete
  3. Students are motivated by intrinsic or extrinsic goals. Intrinsic goals involve wanting to know a subject well and learn as much as one can. Extrinsic goals involve wanting a good grade and receiving praise. Both types of motivations are useful if we want our students to succeed and truly learn what is being taught in our classroom.
    In order to do this we have to motivate our students properly. Simply offering candy or rewards will not be enough. In order to intrinsically motivate our students we should relate the information that will be learned to a real life example. We should explain why they are learning what they are learning and how it benefits them. We can also include extrinsic motivation and give positive reinforcement to our students. For example, when a student succeeds in understanding and applying a difficult concept we can reward that student with praise or possibly a homework pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many different factors that influence student motivation. I believe the older the students get, the more they are self motivated, but at the age I see them, most are not self motivated. Usually it's outside factors such as making an adult proud/happy and/or receiving an award.
    As an educator, I am always looking for ways to motivate students to learn. The best way I have found has been to praise them. It seems to work for every type of student. My lower students seem to surprise themselves when I praise them and my higher students get the recognition they deserve as well. My typical "I don't care" students usually start to see that I make much bigger deals out of their good grades or good behavior, that I start to see more of that coming from them. When any of my students do something that they are proud of, they want to make sure I see it.
    I also give little rewards such as extra talk time, no homework passes, prize jars, allowing students to sit in the rocking chair during reading, and stickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your reward ideas. Some teachers that use a special seat as a reward allow the student to sit there for the entire day. One other idea is to use fake pennies. The students earn pennies and exchange them for an item. This encourages them to save up their pennies until they can purchase something they really want to buy.

      Delete